Guruvayur Temple is also called as the ”Dwarka of the South” is the most acclaimed Hindu temple in Kerala situated at Guruvayur, Thrissur region. The eastern Nada is the principle access to the platform. The directing god is Lord Mahavishnu in standing position with four hands conveying sanku (conch), Sudarshan chakra (a serrated plate), lotus and mace. Here he is adored as Balakrishna, the full symbol (incarnation) of Vishnu. The symbol is made of an uncommon stone called Patala Anjana. Guruvayur Temple – Kerala
This temple is located in scenic beauty with lots of coconut trees and it gives spiritual strength. In this temple only Hindus are allowed and non-Hindus are strictly prohibited. And Men has to wear dhoti or Vashti to enter in the temple.
History of Guruvayur Temple – Kerala
As per legends, the symbol at the temple is over 5,000 years of age. Apart, there are no verifiable records to affirm this. The most punctual temple records are from the seventeenth century and the temple is said to have been inherent 1638 A.D. Somewhere around 1859 and 1892, important redesigns were done in the temple, for example, establishment of copper sheeting on the rooftop. In 1970, a huge flame moderated out up the temple. Thankfully, the essential areas of the temple were unharmed. The temple was resurrected in 1973.
The Guruvayur Temple is a decent case of Kerala‘s temple Vastu Vidya, which is an old thesis on engineering. The temple, confronting east, has two elaborate gopurams at the eastern and western doors – Kizhakke Nada and Padinjare Nada – that house a portion of the uncommon walls of the sixteenth century. At the focal point of the Anapanthal (territory between the grand towers), there is the Nalambalam (pillared lobby) with a sub-hallowed place of Sasta or Lord Ayyappan.On the upper east of the holy place, there is the Koothambalam (stage or theatre) particularly intended for Kutiyattam and Chakyar Koothu exhibitions. The roof and the supports of the Koothambalam are expensively painted, abundantly carved, and lavishly enhanced with networks.
The working religion in the garbhagriha (sanctum sanctorum) is Mahavishnu, who is adored as Lord Krishna. The focal icon is a four-equipped standing Krishna conveying Panchajanya, a dextral conch; Sudarshan Chakra, a plate; Kaumodaki, a mace; and a lotus. The Moola Vigraha (primary symbol) is produced using ‘Pathalanjana Sila’, uncommon dark rock, which is thought to be amazingly holy. Two more symbols – one in gold and the other in silver – are likewise present there. The silver symbol is more seasoned and consequently taken out just for Aarti celebration and on a couple of uncommon events.
Places To Visit
There are many places to visit around Guruvayur Temple like:
- Archaeological Museum – This museum opens all the day except Monday and other national holiday.
- Elephant park (Anakotta) – Which is the closest and most well-known one fascination that you can see close to the Guruvayur. This delightful park is kept in an all the more than ten section of land plot close to the Mammiyoor. Walking close by with fifty to eighty Guruvayur elephants is a significant tremendous ordeal that you can pick up by simply voyaging 4 kms far from the Guruvayur.
- Palayoor Church – This is the other incredible fascination that you can see only 2 km far from the Guruvayur temple. This excellent church is an entirely interesting spot to increase a few bits of knowledge that are identified with the improvement of the one of the real religions in state Kerala.
- Chettuva backwater – Apart this the Chettuva backwater that is 8 kms far from the Guruvayur is entirely more than the arrangement of trenches, islets and in addition the cocoanuts. Sailing at chettuva is constantly considered as one of the most ideal routes for the sightseers to spend their cherishing hours.
- Vadakkunnathan Temple – One of the most seasoned temples in the State, the Vadakkunnathan temples is an established case of the Kerala style of design and has numerous inspiring wall paintings and bits of craftsmanship. This is the venue of the world well known Pooram celebration praised every year in April-May. The rockets at the Pooram are a amazing sight. Non Hindus are not permitted passage into the temples.
- Ariyannoor temples, Kandanisserry: – This temples has a cut passage peak which has been contrasted with the wooden figures of American craftsman Louise Nevelson. The Siva sanctuary at Thiruvanchikulam and additionally the Sri Krishna sanctuary at Thirukulashekharapuram are accepted to be landmarks from the ninth century.
- EKADASHI – Ekadashi falling on Veluthapaksham in Vsichikam month is celebrated as the historical Guruvayur Ekadashi. It is a standout amongst the most vital celebrations in Guruvayur Temple and the arrangements for this begins before a month. The temple is helped greatly; it additionally serves as a fascination for countless. Exceptional dishes are even arranged and individuals from everywhere throughout the nation visit amid this celebration.
- ASHTAMI ROHINI – It is the birthday of Lord Krishna falling between the month of August and September. On this exceptional event, a unique dining experience is arranged the lovers. Appam and Palpayasam are thought to be notable offering to the Lord.
Guruvayur Temple Timings
The temple for the most part opens at 3:00 a.m. what’s more, shuts down at 10:00 p.m. By and large, there are around five pujas (love) and three circumambulatory parades completed. The temple is shut between 1:30 p.m. what’s more, 4:30 p.m. The elephant shelter is open from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- The principle symbol of the temple is produced using Pathalanjana Sila, which is a kind of dark rock that is said to be harder than metal.
- The temple has an elephant haven called the Punnathur Kotta, which has around 50 elephants. The temple likewise offers various honours and grants.
- Western Clothing is not allowed.
- Men has to wear Vesti and Dhoti
- Photography is prohibited
- Smoking and Tobaco is not allowed inside the Temple
- Non veg food is not allowed
How to reach
- By Air – Airport: nearest Airport is Cochi international Airport and Calicut Airport
- By Rail – All the metro train are connected from large cities like Delhi, Mumbai, and many others. And nearest station is Guruvayur station.
- By road: Private and Government buses are available to reach there.
You may also like