Sometimes, rather most of the times, morning rush doesn’t allow us to have an elaborate, wholesome and ideal breakfast. At times we do not have so much time and at times we feel too lazy to put in that much amount of effort required for a good breakfast.
But less time should definitely not lessen the nutritional value and importance of a healthy breakfast since it is the most important meal of the day. It provides us energy and strength to keep ourselves going for the rest of the day. As per a famous Indian saying, we should ‘Break the fast like a king’ which means that our first meal of the day should be as lavish and nourishing like that of a king. But the fast going modern life don’t most of the times permit us so much time to prepare a lavish breakfast.
So here we present ten best and quick breakfast ideas for you. These recipes will help you kick-start your day in a healthier way!
- Oatmeal with apricots and raisins – Oatmeal is a wholesome breakfast with multiple benefits. It is nutritious, zero-fat, quick to cook and keeps our stomach feeling fuller for a longer time. Take two tablespoons of oats and cook it with a cup of milk. It will hardly take about 3-5 minutes. Once cooked, top it with golden raisins, dried apricots and almonds. Also sprinkle little nutmeg and cinnamon powder. You can also add one-two spoons of honey to it which make the dish taste sweeter and tastier.
- Muesli or Multi-grain flakes with dried fruits – Get yourself a packet of multi-grain flakes or muesli both of which are quite easily available in the market. Also keep a box of dried fruits and chopped nuts handy in your kitchen. Mix these in the proportion you like and have with a bowl of fresh milk or yoghurt. This complete meal incorporating cereals, fruits as well as nuts with calcium content of milk/yogurt is a great way to start your day.
- Waffles with nut butter and bananas – We usually keep waffles with us an on-the-go snack. But try a new recipe by spreading some peanut or almond butter on a couple of waffles and top it with banana slices and honey.
- Power-packed almond and blueberry muffins – Use milk, yogurt, whole wheat flour, almonds and blueberries to bake some delightful muffins. You can bake them and keep them in your freezer for upto a month. Microwave them whenever you are in a morning hurry and have your power-packed breakfast on the go. These muffins are rich in vitamin-B, calcium and anti-oxidants.
- Fig and Nut cookies – The word cookies sounds quite indulging but to everyone’s surprise cookies can be healthy too. Prepare oversized whole wheat flour cookies. You can also add some nuts and figs to eat. These can be stored for about a month and you can have a couple of them as your on-the-go breakfast or even as a mid-day snack.
- Granola with grapes and yogurt – Take a bowl of low-fat yogurt and top it with half a cup of granola and an equal quantity of grapes. This is one the quickest breakfasts that you can have if you are short of time for preparing breakfast. This meal is rich in fiber, calcium, potassium, sodium, antioxidants while low on fat content making it ideal for a good start to the day.
- French Toast topped with Raspberry and Maple syrup – Take one egg and half a cup of milk and whisk them well. Add a pinch of cinnamon powder to it. Coat both sides of a bread in it and cook it in a pan until light brown on both the sides. Prepare as many slices as you like. Meanwhile mix 2 tablespoon each of maple syrup and raspberry jam. Dust your slices with a little bit of sugar and top it with the syrup you just prepared. Your energy-stuffed breakfast is ready in minutes!
- Cottage cheese with pineapple and pomegranate – Take a cup of thinly sliced pineapple and toss it in a bowl with a tablespoon of powdered sugar and mint leaves. Let it sit for 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile mash about ¾ cup of cottage cheese well. Now mix these together and your breakfast is ready instantly. This is a great option for those who do not like milk or yogurt for breakfast. This meal will keep the calcium content of your breakfast intact without letting your taste buds make a compromise.
- Banana Oatmeal smoothie – After reading this recipe, you will surely be surprised by the fact that a smoothie can also be a complete meal. For this recipe you need one banana, ½ cup of rolled oats, 1 cup fresh curd, some ice cubes, 2 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp flax seeds and dry fruits of your choice. Put all these ingredients in your blender and blend till the mix becomes smooth. 2 servings of filling, refreshing, nutritious and delicious banana oatmeal smoothie are ready. This recipe takes 3-5 minutes to prepare and serves the purpose of a wholesome breakfast.
- Try something with your leftover food from previous night/day – Sometimes the food we prepared on a previous day remains leftover. We can recreate something quick and new with it the next morning. It will save us from the early morning hassles of preparing an all new fresh recipe and also prevent food wastage. For example, if there is a dry dish in our refrigerator then it can be stuffed in a taco, sandwich or a wrap. Or if there is a gravy then it can be added to a quick oats porridge.