Dilwara Jain Temples is one of the finest Jain temple known world over for its extraordinary architecture and marvelous marble stone carvings. These are situated in Dilwara village 3 Kms. from Mount Abu.
Dilwara Jain Temples
Dilwara Temples are the world famous Jain temples take the name of Dilwara an adjoining village situated at at a height of 4000 feet on a hill of Mount Abu. These temples were built between 11th to 13th century AD, The beautiful lush green hills surrounding the temple gives a very pleasant feeling. Mount Abu is the world famous and beautiful hill station of Rajasthan. Dilwara Jain Temples
The Dilwara temples are a composite cluster of 5 temples. Each of these five temples are with its own unique identity. These five legendary marble temples of Dilwara are a sacred pilgrimage place of the Jains. Each is named after the small village in which it is located. These are: Dilwara Jain Temples
- Shri Adi Nathji Temple
- Shri Neminathji Temple
- Shri Rishabha Devji Temple
- Shri Parshva Nathji Temple
- Shri Mahaveer Swami Temple
All these shrines belong to different centuries. The first two are built wholly of white marble, they have got exuberant carvings and ornamentation work on the walls, doors, pillars, mandaps, torans, ceilings etc. The designs depict life stories of Jain Tirthankars, scenes of Gods and Goddesses and great men from Jain and great Hindu mythology. The most famous of these are the Vimal Vasahi and Luna Vasahi temples. Dilwara Jain Temples
- Shri Adi Nathji Temple or Vimal Vasahi Temple was built in 1031 by Vimal Shah, the minister and commander in chief of Bhima Dev I, Solanki ruler of Gujarat. This temple is the oldest of all and dedicated to Shri Adinath Ji – The first Jain trithankar, the temple has an open courtyard surrounded by corridors all beautifully decorated with marble carved stones. Dilwara Jain Temples
It took 1500 artisans and 1200 laborers a time span of 14 years to build this brilliant piece of architecture. The whole shrine covers an area of 140 ft. long and 90 ft. broad. It has a sanctum, a Gudha Mandap, Navchowki, Rang Mandap and a circumambulatory corridor having 57 cells. In each cell, image of one or the other Jain Tirthankar is installed. In front of every cell, double carved roofs are screened by double arcade of pillars. Cell numbers are marked and the name of the idol installed in it is also written. Dilwara Jain Temples
- Shri Nemi Nathji temple or Luna Vasahi Temple – This temple was built in 1230 A.D. by two brothers known as Tejpal and Vastupal, they dedicated this temple to the 22nd saint of Jainism – Shri Nemi Nathji.
The temple built in memory of their late brother Luna was designed after the Vimal Vashi temple. The main hall or Rang mandap features a central dome from which hangs a big ornamental pendent featuring elaborate carving. Arranged in a circular band are 72 figures of Tirthankars in sitting posture and just below this band are 360 small figures of Jain monks in another circular band. The Hathishala or elephant cell features 10 beautiful marble elephants neatly polished and realistically modelled. Dilwara Jain Temples
- Shri Rishabdaoji Temple or Peethalhar Temple – This temple was built by Bhima Shah, a minister from Gujarat dynasty. This temple is known as Pittalhari/Peethalhar temple because in this temple most of the statues are built using ‘Pittal’ (Brass Metal). Dilwara Jain Temples
- Shri ParshavNath Temple or Khartar Vasahi Temple – This temple was constructed by Mandika clan between 1458-59 A.D., this temple has the tallest shrine along with four big Mandapa’s amongst all dilwara temples.
- Shri Mahaveer Swami Temple – This temple was built in 1582 and is devoted to Lord Mahaveer Swami ji the 24th Tirthankara of Jain’s, this temple is relatively small the temple’s upper walls have pictures of the porch painted by craftsmen of sirohi in year 1764.
The Dilwara Jain Temples attracting domestic and foreign tourist both and number of tourist increasing every year. Temples are open from 12 P.M. to 3 P.M. for tourists for free and No photography is allowed inside the temple complex.