If you are among those who are fond of travelling and visiting different places but you haven’t been to Kullu Manali, then you are surely missing out something great. Also a popular honeymoon spot among Indians, lying in the state of Himachal Pradesh, Kullu Manali is one of the most ravishing and enticing hill stations of India.
Due to the close proximity of Kullu and Manali, they are referred to as a single holiday destination. Surrounded by Himalayan Mountains from all over and lying in the valley of river Beas, the twin hill stations of Kullu and Manali are very popular among tourists. The snow-capped mountains, pleasurable weather, apple and plum trees, thick forests and extensive meadows are the predominant beautifying factors of Manali. Besides the serenity of the natural beauty, one can also freak out on the thrill-filled outdoor activities such as trekking, rafting, paragliding and other mountain adventures.
Major attractions in Kullu Manali
- Hadimba Temple – Situated on top of a cliff, Hadimba Devi Temple is dedicated to the wife of Pandava Bhima, the Rakshasa Hadimba. The temple has beautiful surroundings of thick deodar forests. The architecture of temple resembles that of a Buddhist monastery.
- Solang Valley – Also renowned as Snow Point, the valley is known for being the spot for adventure sports activities. It is also one of the much loved spots for trekking. The views from the point are simply spellbinding.
- Rohtang Pass – Lying in the eastern areas of Pir Panjal Range with River Beas and Chenab at the southern and northern sides, Rohtang Pass is bestowed with amazingly beautiful picturesque background.
- Vashist Hot Water Springs – At a distance of about 4 to 5 kilometers from Manali, across the river Beas lies the village of Vashist. Popular for its sulphurous Hot Water Springs, this place is a famous tourist and pilgrim attraction. The Turkish-style bath houses also enable the facility to be enjoyed in private. Also there are numerous temples of Rishi Vashist situated here.
- Nehru Kund – Originating from Brighu River, Nehru Kund is a natural cold water spring. These springs are on the national highway to Leh leading to Keylong, about 5 kilometers from Manali. This spring is named after the first prime minister of independent India, Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru. This is so because it is said that he drunk water from this spring whenever he paid a visit to Manali.
Other important place of tourist interest are
- Sultanpur Palace
- Basheshwar Mahadev Temple
- Bijli Mahadev Temple
- Beas River
- Maa Sharvari Temple
- Bhrigu Lake
- Pin Valley
- Manali Sanctuary etc.
Best time to visit
Every season in Kullu Manali has a different charm to offer. Winters the winters envelope the entire town in cover of snow, summers propose a wonderful chance to escape from the torturous heat of the plains. So the months from October to January is the time when you can enjoy the snowfall and scenic view of the snow covered valley. While summers is the time of pleasant weather and outdoor fun activities such as paragliding, trekking, skiing and other mountain adventures.
How to reach
By Air – Kullu Manali does not have any own airport of its own. The nearest airport is Bhuntar airport which is about 50kms away from Manali and 10kms away from Kullu. A lot of flights ply to and from all over the country to this airport.
By Train – Kullu Manali does not have any railway station too. The two nearest railway stations are Jogindernagar railway station and Pathankot railway station. The distance from these railway stations is approximately 126kms and 285kms respectively. Besides, Chandigarh railway station also falls close to it at a distance of about 350km. You need to hire taxi for reaching Kullu Manali from these railway stations.
By Road – The most convenient way of traveling to Kullu Manali is by road. There are various buses that come to Manali bus stand from almost all major cities of north India. Alternatively, you can first take buses till Chandigarh and then another bus from Chandigarh to Manali. You can also hire a taxi or drive your own car for reaching to Kullu Manali which will take about 5- 5.5 hours from Chandigarh and 8-9 hours from national capital Delhi.