Paonta Sahib is a tiny hill site in the enchanting state of Himachal Pradesh and a popular pilgrimage center for the Sikhs. It is a part of the Sirmour District of Himachal Pradesh, situated on the banks of the river Yamuna. This historic town, encircled by rich green forests of sal trees has a 350m wide boundary.Paonta Sahib – Himachal Pradesh
Paonta Sahib – Himachal Pradesh
Paonta Sahib, Paonta meaning ‘space for a foothold’, was by the tenth Sikh guru, Guru Gobind Singh. It was ordained when Guru Ji placed his foot on its soil. It is believed that Guru Gobind Singh Ji wrote a crucial portion of the holy book of Dassam Granth here. Paonta Sahib – Himachal Pradesh
Famous Tourist Spots
- Gurdwara Bhanjani Sahib: It lies just about 6km away from Paonta Sahib. This gurdwara is an extremely attractive shrine in the midst of flawless natural surroundings. It is the place where Guru Gobind Singh Ji defeated the hill chieftains. Lakhs of devotees visit this holy shrine every year.
- Assan Lake: It is an exhilarating place in the vicinity of Paonta Sahib. It has some very thrilling activities to allure the tourists rushing in from wide and far. Apart from this, the travellers can alsoindulgein a wide variety of cuisines offered at a restaurant located within the premises of the Lake. Visitors can also engage in recreational activities like paddling, rowing, and hovercraft rides.Paonta Sahib – Himachal Pradesh
- Fossil Park: The park is stationed on the banks of Markanda River, 30 miles away from Paonta Sahib. Fossil Park has put on wonderfully the view of flora and fauna’s life in its museum.Paonta Sahib – Himachal Pradesh
- Sirmour: A picturesque site in the state of Himachal Pradesh, Sirmour is notable for its manifold architectural relics. It is believed to have been destroyed in the 11th century owing to flash floods.
- Simbalbara Wildlife Sanctuary: This is another popular attraction settled at hardly any distance from the Paonta Sahib. It is visited by many ornithologists and bird lovers throughout the year.
- Katasan Devi Temple: Also famously known as Uttam Wala Bara Bar, it is situated 30km away from Paonta Sahib on the Paonta Sahib- Nahan road. The shrine is admired by local people. At this point, the forces of Sirmour defeated the raiding armies of Ghulam Qadir Khan Rohiolla. Paonta Sahib – Himachal Pradesh
- Ram Temple: It is located within Paonta Sahib. Situated near the Yamuna bridge, it is also known as Mandir Shri Dei Ji Sahiba. It was built with intricate marble work, in 1889, in memory of Raja Part Hand of Sangria by his wife who was initially a member of Sirmour. Paonta Sahib – Himachal Pradesh
- Gurdwara Paonta Sahib: The Gurdwara Paonta Sahib holds high religious and historical significance to Sikhs all around the world. It’s palki, donated by a devotee, is made up of pure gold. The Gurdwara also has a museum that exhibits antiques and weapons used by Guru Gobind Singh Ji during his stay in Paonta Sahib. Langar is served for all those who wish to be a part of it. Paonta Sahib – Himachal Pradesh
- Gurdwara Shergarh Sahib: Situated 12km away from Paonta Sahib, this is where Guru Gobind Singh Ji beheaded a man-eating tiger with a single stroke of his sword. Paonta Sahib – Himachal Pradesh
Some other famous tourist attractions in Paonta Sahib include The Sahstra Dhara, Gurdwara Tirgarh Sahib, Khodra Dak Pathar, Yamuna Temple, Nagnauna Temple and the Shrine of Baba Garib Nath.
Best Time to Visit
The summers are usually quite hot with an average temperature of 35 degrees, while winters get chilly with a maximum temperature of 15 degrees. Therefore, an ideal time to visit Paonta Sahib would be between the months of May and October. Paonta Sahib – Himachal Pradesh
How to Reach
- By Air: Jolly Grant airport at Dehradun is the closest to make it to Paonta Sahib, and is situated just about 40 Miles away. One can take a bus or a taxi from the airport to Paonta Sahib. Paonta Sahib – Himachal Pradesh
- By Rail: The nearest railway stations to Paonta Sahib are located in Yamuna Nagar and Dehradun, which are 56km and 45km away, respectively. Paonta Sahib – Himachal Pradesh
- By Road: The town is well-connected to the main cities of India by brilliant motorable roads. Regular bus and car services are available from Dehradun, Chandigarh, Shimla, Nahan, and a few more cities to Paonta Sahib.
You may also like