Port Blair is known to be is the capital of Andaman and Nicobar – a Union Territory of India dwelled in the Bay of Bengal. In 1789 the administration of Bengal built a penal colony on Chatham Island in the southeast bay of Grand Andaman, entitled Port Blair to honour Archibald Blair Lieutenant of the British East India Company. Later after two years, the colony shifted to the northeast part of Great Andaman and was entitled as Port Cornwallis as for Admiral William Cornwallis. Port Blaire the capital town of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Port Blaire the capital town of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
This former colonial island city is besieged by incredible waters of Bay of Bengal and the various Virgin Islands, and consequently is a famous tourist spot in India. Once a great British Colony, Port Blair was difficult for travellers for many years, even for the peoples who lived in India. But today, it has grown a famous stop for eco-tourism devotees not only from India but also over the entire globe. With green natural beauty, loads of events and engaging historical sites, the city is actually a place to be. Visit Port Blair only means a pleasant vacation in the true lap of nature.
SIGHTS IN AND AROUND PORT BLAIR
There are many places to visit in and around Port Blair but to make it easy to plan your trip below are some options to choose from. Port Blaire the capital town of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
HISTORICAL SIGHTS – If you are a researcher or someone who wants to know about the history of Port Blair then CELLULAR Jail –National Memorial and Ross Island is the place you need to visit.
MUSEUMS – Maybe you and your kids love to see the museums then there are several options to see for:
- Anthropological Museum
- Fisheries Museum
- Samudrika (Naval Marine Museum)
- Zoological Survey of India Museum
BEACHES– If you are out with your friend and want to have some fun. Visit the beaches in and around Port Blaire are the place you are searching for. Port Blaire the capital town of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Carbyn’s Cove Beach
- North Bay Beach
- Mundapahar Beach and Mundapahar Trek route
- Wandoor & Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park
The main sightseeing through Port Blair tour includes the notorious Cellular Jail, Water Sports Complex, Marina Amusement Park, Zsi Museum, Gandhi Park and Chidiya Tapu. Growing a premium holiday stop India, this place has seen a huge growth in term of tourism services. In the city, one will find an excellent range of services that can suit every pocket size and lifestyle. The choice here differs from the luxury hotels to pocket-friendly budget homes. Beyond this, a grand selection of restaurants and nightlife opportunities can be seen in Port Blair.
FAIRS AND FESTIVALS
Island Tourism Festival To give the entertainment of events for tourists and the local public the Tourism Department of Port Blaire organizes the following fairs and festivals / events every year by reaching maximum tourists’ spots / islands in Andaman & Nicobar Islands.The Island Tourism Festival is the yearly cultural event arranged for the promotion of tourism and entertainment for tourist. The main exhibitions are held at Port Blair. Though, small program, as a part of the festival are also arranged in other places like Wandoor, Wimberlygunj, Neil, Rangat, Havelock, Mayabunder, Diglipur, Hut Bay, Kamorta, Car Nicobar, Campbell Bay etc. The 10 -day festival is held yearly from 5th January with an inaugural celebration to be graced by Hon’ble Lt. Governor at ITF ground Port Blair. The inaugural celebration is telecast live in DD Bharati and in many countries. Throughout the festival, the main venue – ITF ground is filled with people from all walks of the life and tourists.
Flea Market- The weekend market has been organized from time to time in the islands at several places providing an opportunity for the local citizen to showcase their produce also travelers to enjoy the local food, buy local handicrafts and other products. The event has been started for the entertainment of Islanders and tourists.
Things You Keep In Mind While Going To Port Blair
Traveling to a remote tropical island without the right gear is a bad idea.
- Sunscreen – The salt in the air and the tropical sun may add to sunburns of skin. Carrying a sunscreen with lasting results is advisable. Port Blaire the capital town of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Mosquito repellent – The tropical forest region is well known for its’ mosquito and insect heterogeneity. An insect repellent would be handy. Port Blaire the capital town of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Flip flops – For the best time walking in the beach flip flops are suggested. High heels on a beach walk could cause trouble. Port Blaire the capital town of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Clothes – Carrying cotton is suggested. Shorts, airy light dresses helps in keeping dry in the warm humid climate. Port Blaire the capital town of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Swimwear – Remember, relaxing sessions on the beach are going to be a normal thing while here. Swimming in the blue waters when on the Islands is highly praised.
Best Time To Visit Port Blaire
The climate in Andaman is appetizing all through the year; though, the best time to visit Port Blaire is between October and March. When planning your travel for Port-Blair tour, winters) are suggested and light woollen cloths (for loose cotton clothes (for summer) other than that Beachwear, sunscreen lotion and some dry fruits are other recommended items to carry in your bag. Port Blaire the capital town of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Travel Options To Port Blaire
You can reach Port Blaire by air, by road and by water through following routes:
- By Air- Port Blair is well united with conventional flights from Chennai and Kolkata. NRIs and immigrants need to get a PAP or Protected Area Permit on arrival at the Port Blair airport.
- By Water- For the adventuresome and the patient, you can take a tourist ship that heads out to Port Blair from Kolkata (66 hours), Chennai (60 hours), and Visakhapatnam (56 hours). Tickets can be reserved at the office of the SCI – Shipping Corporation of India.
- By Road- For all the road trip lovers, You can reach to Port Blair by road depending on the place you are going from. Cabs, buses, and hired taxis can be used to reach Port Blair from several cities such as Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, etc. Port Blaire the capital town of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The best way to plan a Port Blaire tour is to buy a customized Andaman package through a named travel agent.
Do not forget to share your feedback and reviews….
Stay connected With Jiyo Pal Pal….:) J J
You may also like