If you are having a stuffy nose that stays clogged for more than a week with thick yellow or green colored mucus running from your nose or throat, along with fever, cough, fatigue, a severe headache, dizziness while changing positions, a bad breath and a decreased sense of smell, then you might of have a sinus infection.
Experiencing a sinus pain and pressure can be very distressing. In such a case, visiting a doctor is always advisable for a proper and detailed diagnosis, but simple home remedies are also of a great help for relief from a sinus infection. So here are a few simple, quick and self-help remedies to battle sinus infection effectively.
- Take a hot, steamy bath. You can add a few drops of menthol to the water. This will help the mucus to loosen up and flush out of your nose.
- Drink enough water throughout the day. It will keep your body and sinus hydrated. Keep yourself away from drinks that can rather dehydrate your body such as drinks containing caffeine and alcohol.
- Keep your room and workplace clean and dust free. It will keep all sorts of allergies including sinus allergies away from you.
- Fenugreek seeds commonly used in kitchen can do wonders for relief from sinus. Add a few seeds to a glass of water and boil it well. Strain the water and drink it repetitively several times a day for quick relief.
- Eucalyptus oil is also very helpful in fighting sinus. Add a few drops to your handkerchief and inhale it regularly to get rid of sinus problems.
- Garlic is well-known for its ability to fight bacterial and fungal infections. Add a few cloves of garlic to boiling water and let it boil for a few more minutes. Now inhale the steam coming from this water. It will result in instant thinning of sinus mucus.
- Boil a few thin slices of ginger in water for 3-4 minutes. Now drink it warm just like tea. It will provide relief from infection as well as headache arising out of it.
- Get yourself a neti pot and irrigate your nasal cavity with saline water twice a day. This remedy is very effective in getting rid of all the unwanted mucus and infections stuck in your nose.
- Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory spice and an excellent anti-oxidant. Boiling turmeric root in water or tea and drinking it hot helps in overall recovery from most of the sinusitis related problems such as clogged nose, upset stomach and sinus pressure.10. Drink 2-3 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar mixed in a cup of hot water two to three times a day. It will help in thinning of nasal mucus and provide relief from congestion.