Have you also been thinking that carrots are the best (and the only good food) for your eyesight? But not anymore! There is a lot more to eating foods good for eyes than just depending upon carrots. While I do not mean to say that carrots are not good for your eyes, they surely are but all I wish to say is that there are many other foods that could be as good as or even better than carrots for your eyesight.
Keeping in mind the soaring health problems, rising pollution, stress, overuse of technology and deteriorating lifestyle habits, having a healthy vision at all ages through life is nothing less than blessing. Apart from general habits that you should follow for a good eyesight such as regular medical checkups, maintaining a good hygiene and sleeping well, eating foods that possess the potential of boosting your eyesight could be of great help. So following are the
10 Foods best for eyes that will keep your eyes healthy and vision strong at all ages!
- Fish – Sardines, salmon and tuna protect your eyes from cataracts, dryness and macular degeneration since they are a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Citrus fruits – Fruits rich in Vitamin C such as oranges, lemons, grapefruit and berries decrease the risk of eye related ailments such as macular degeneration and cataract. Hence, including them in your diet frequently is a good way to maintain a good eye health.
- Green and Leafy Vegetables – Veggies such as spinach, kale, avocado, peas, broccoli etc. have a combination of two special and powerful antioxidants namely zeaxanthin and lutein. These two help in prevention of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Black Currants – They are by far the best natural source of anthocyanins. They have essential fatty acids and anti-inflammatory properties in huge quantities.
- Eggs – Eggs are a rich source of all the nutrients essential for healthy eyes including lutein and Vitamin A. They also keep problem of dryness at bay!
- Seeds and Wheat Germ – Vitamin C and E when brought together do wonders in strengthening tissues. So having some sunflower seeds or flaxseeds is a good idea. You could even add a tablespoon of wheat germ oil to your salad everyday for the same effect.
- Nuts – We’ve already mentioned that Omega 3 is good for our eyes. You can find them in abundance in almonds, walnuts, cashews, pistachios and other nuts too!
- Legumes – Legumes such as lentils, kidney beans and black eyed peas nourish us with zinc and bioflavonoids. This safeguards our retina and counters risks of developing illnesses related to eyes.
- Whole Grains – A diet containing foods with a low glycemic index (GI) can help reduce your risk for age-related macular degeneration.
- Carrots, sweet potatoes and yam – Last but not the least, carrots of course which we have traditionally been considering the best food for eyes actually are one of the best ones. In fact all the bright orange colored vegetables including sweet potato, pumpkin, yam, orange pepper etc. have beta carotene in profusion which have magical effects on the health of our eyes.
You may also like